Results of Business Ombudsman Council operations in 2019
Business Ombudsman Council (BOC) is an independent advisory body of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine with a mandate to help establish a transparent business environment and prevent corruption in state authorities, local self-government bodies and state-owned companies as well. BOC officially started its work on May 20, 2015.
During 2019 BOC received 1,646 complaints from business entities concerning malpractice of authority bodies, 1,139 cases of which were closed (a half of all closed cases were solved successfully for complainant).
Top-5 blocks of complaints in 2019:
- tax issues (60%);
- law enforcement agencies actions (12%);
- state regulators’ actions (8%);
- customs issues (5%);
- actions of Ministry of Justice of Ukraine (4%).
In 2019 BOC helped to recover UAH 4.6 bln.
SME remains a key client. In 2019, 68% of all complaints were lodged by SME, while 32% – by large companies. 84% of complaints originated from Ukrainian local enterprises, while 16% – from companies with foreign investment.
Here are the top-5 sectors in which majority of complainants are engaged in:
- wholesale and distribution (26%);
- manufacturing (14%);
- real estate and construction (10%);
- individual entrepreneurs (9%);
- agriculture and mining (8%).
Average investigation duration was 72 days in 2019.
How can business address to the BOC?
Business entity can apply to BOC using postal servises or internet. Herewith, complaint submission via internet is very simple – entrepreneur only have to fill the online complaint form at «the BOC web–site»
Everyone can submit a complaint free of charge. Submitted request must meet four main requirements:
- the possibility of administrative appeal is used (if applicable);
- the case is not/has not been considered by the court;
- a year has not passed since the malpractice towards your business occurred;
- you are not complaining about the private company.
If your complaint is eligible, the BOC will investigate the case within three months. If the complaint is recognized as substantiated, the BOC will provide recommendations to the relevant state or municipal authorities for eliminating or minimization of malpractice consequences.
In order to get detail information about BOC activity results in 2019, please get acquainted with the «annual report»