The bill “On Inland Waterway Transport” is a start of the river traffic reform!
Recently, on December 3, 2020, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted in general the bill No. 1182-1-d “On Inland Waterway Transport”. 276 People’s Deputies of Ukraine supported the corresponding bill.
The implementation of this bill will allow reviving the cheapest and most environmentally friendly method of freight delivery and creating efficient river logistics.
As the Minister of Infrastructure of Ukraine Vladyslav Krykliy noted, the new law will allow to:
– increase the freight traffic up to 30 mln tons per year and obtain an economic effect for the state in the amount of UAH 13-16 bln annually;
– improve competition in the market, increase investments due to equal conditions and transparent rules, create new jobs;
– significantly relieve the Ukrainian roads and reduce the cost of its repair;
– use the Dnipro River capacity at full compared to the current 10%;
– create the State Fund for the Inland Waterways Development that will ensure the maintenance of navigable locks on the Dnipro River in proper technical condition. Today more than 75% of such locks are worn out;
– ensure the development of passenger river transport, including international;
– stimulate the Ukrainian shipbuilding development;
– liberalize the market by allowing foreign-flagged ships navigation and stimulate international trade;
– deregulate the inland waterway transport by introducing free passage through inland navigation locks and partial exemption of inland navigation vessels from dues in seaports;
– simplify administrative procedures for ship registration and qualification documents issuance;
– implement European standards and bring Ukrainian legislation in line with European one.
Taking into account favorable geographical position of Kherson region, implementation of the mentioned bill provisions opens up a number of opportunities and incentives for business activity intensification and shipbuilding development in the region.